Saturday, 14 January 2012

Where would the next Leonardo da Vinci work?

When I visited Italy a few years ago, I made a point of visiting the Uffizi Gallery in Florence. I enjoyed seeing the work of Botticelli, Michelangelo and Leonardo da Vinci as well as many others. I am amazed that Sandro Botticelli could paint like this more than 500 years ago. I think his Birth of Venus was painted around 1490. I was going to try to make it to London to visit the Leonardo da Vinci Exhibition, but it looks like I won't get there now. I admire all of the Renasissance artisits. I wonder what Leonardo or Michelangelo would be creating if they were alive now, in 2012? Today people think they are being creative because they have built a website or done something in Photoshop, but are we truly creative as we used to be? Very few people write letters any more and even fewer people sketch. Would Leonardo be working for Apple, or Pixar, if he were alive today? I'm not so sure.  

"The Birth of Venus" by Botticelli

No comments: